Friday, March 10, 2006

Ubuntu translation

Recently, I've joined the Ubuntu translation team with an intention of translating this popular Linux distro into my mother tongue. Though I'm not a great fan of this distro I've taken up the chance to help out a bit. I don't know if there will be any use of my effort. The thought of having our own translation of the popular distro is quite attractive and it may also have a possitive impact on people around who might be distracted from using Linux due to their language gap.

I once contributed on the translation of PHP documentation, however it didn't meet much success for having a very few people on team, lacking spare time and discouraging words of its uselessness. Indeed, people with a fair knowledge of English wanting to get into this language really don't need doubtfull translations. A great factor in this is largely technical language so that previous experience with programming is nothing but inevitable. Though I am done with it I profited in improving language, my acquainting with technical texts and getting insight of how CVS works.

Here I am with another translation credit. It is a good chance to improve on my knowledge of English as well as, considering it more challenging and attractive, to allow people not acquainted with Linux to try it out and see its advantages in comparison with other OS's.

What I like about this translation is the way how the translation is actually being done. It uses Rosetta,
a Web-based system for translating open source software into any language. It can be found here. It's really nicely done interface that is fairly easy to use. Another thing I like is the way how Rosetta keeps the status of translation process. In my opinion, the creators of this system really did a great job.

There currently are several translators on our team. Although not all of them have been contributing lately, this project has better outlook than the one formerly mentioned, both being equally extensive.

No comments: